I apologize for the late update, but Luke took a turn for the worse this morning, and we had to postpone surgery on his limb. The respiratory infection we had been treating him for came back with a vengance, and we decided he could not undergo anesthesia under these conditions.
Luke had two good days, and then his body could no longer keep the infections he had from taking over. His upper airway became compromised from the continued flow of nasal discharge. In addition to that, the infection in his leg grew more extensive and more purulent. We brought in a Team of Specialists to take over his Medical to make sure we were treating his infections with the appropriate antibiotics.
Luke's leg continued to deteriorate into tonight. If it was just his leg that was an issue, we could deal with that, but he has airway obstruction, and he is showing signs of Re-Feeding Syndrome. His specialists have decided we needed to treat his GI system to stop the diarrhea he has been having. He has not lost weight, but the essential values are that he has not gained any.
I cannot emphasize how important it is for Luke to take in nutrients that his body can assimilate. He was so starved that his body has lost the ability to process food properly. We have new cultures pending for the upper respiratory infection and the infection on his mangled limb. He must have several different aggressive infections growing other than the ones we have already identified.
I do not anticipate his Surgical Team doing Surgery tomorrow. I am not comfortable where he is medically, and neither are his Critical Care Specialists. I wish I had good news and could say his surgery went beautifully. Sadly, we will have to wait several more days before that will happen.
I am not one for spreading False-Hope. I am factual and honest in every aspect of a dog's medical condition. My heart and gut tell me Luke is still in Danger of losing his Life. I believe it is a Miracle he is alive today. I Believe in MIRACLES all the time and am going to do everything possible to save Luke. He is a strong-minded dog that chewed off his leg to survive. He was a Fighter and a Survivor when no one cared about him. He knows we Love and Adore him and are doing everything possible to give him what he needs to Survive.
I Believe in Miracles, and I Believe in Luke. I also Believe in the incredible Veterinary Physicians that are putting every piece of information they can gather to save his Life. Please, remember, No News does not mean Bad News. If something happens to Luke, I will let you know immediately. We don't hold information when we have it. Please, Pray for our beautiful boy and for the Physicians that are looking after him. Everyone needs your Prayers tonight.